As a homeowner, you are always looking for ways to save money. But should mold remediation be one of them? The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says yes…if your mold outbreak meets certain criteria, the biggest consideration being size. If the moldy area is less than 10 square feet, then you can probably handle a do-it-yourself mold remediation.
DIY Mold Remediation Guidelines from the EPA
- Wear proper clothing and safety equipment, including a mask and gloves.
- First, fix the source of the moisture, whether it is a burst pipe, leaky roof, broken window, etc.
- Dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Porous materials affected by mold, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, should be thrown away.
- Do not cover moldy surface unless the affected area has been thoroughly cleaned.
However, if your mold infestation meets the below criteria, then you should leave the mold remediation to the professionals.
- If mold growth covering more than 10 square feet
- If mold growth is accompanied by significant water damage
- If mold growth is difficult to reach or extends behind walls
- If mold growth is in the HVAC system
- If mold growth or water damage is caused by sewage
- If you have any health concerns
Professional Mold Remediation Services in Maryland, DC, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania & West Virginia
Chesapeake Environmental Cleaning Systems, LLC is a leader in mold remediation and mold removal, offering services in the above states. We employ only certified mold remediators that have been through extensive training, and who continue further training while working for us.
Our processes are so comprehensive that we offer a warranty against return mold growth in any of the treated areas, and the warranty is FULLY TRANSFERRABLE to any subsequent homeowners.
“I have used John Martin from Chesapeake on several mold projects. He has consistently done a good, reliable job. I have even recommended him to multiple customers. John Martin is a strong worker and thoroughly knows and understands the mold business. He is always professional, courteous, and respectful toward the customers and his fellow workers. He is someone with whom I look forward to working. I will be using John again in the future for other mold projects.” – Joseph Punte, J.R.A. Construction LLC