Mold can occur almost anywhere in your home. When it comes to preventing mold within your home, it helps to understand what types of mold typically grow in each area of your house. Of all the places in your home that mold can grow and spread, your bathroom is probably one of the most vulnerable. Your bathroom can become a breeding ground for mold if the proper precautions aren’t taken. Before you begin to prevent mold, know which types you are trying to prevent. Some of the most commonly found molds in bathrooms are:
- Trichoderma- This type of mold can typically be found on damp wallpaper and carpet in bathrooms. Exposure to this mold could cause allergic reactions as well as serious respiratory problems.
- Stachybotrys chartarum- This type of mold is more commonly known as “black mold”. Black mold is extremely toxic and is found in bathrooms that are constantly damp.
- Cladosporium- This mold can be found on surfaces that have become damp such as carpeting or wooden surfaces in your bathroom. This type of mold can cause infections in the respiratory system and trouble with breathing.
- Botrytis- Mold of this nature is normally found in bathrooms that have a poor ventilation system. This mold can cause allergic reactions and problems with asthma.
- Alternaria- This type of mold can be found in wet areas of your bathroom such as showers and under leaky piping. Similar to Botrytis, this type of mold can cause allergic reactions as well as asthma.
So how can you prevent mold like the above listed from showing their ugly faces in your bathroom? The best way to prevent mold is to prevent the development of moisture. Use a fan or open window along with your ventilation system to prevent moisture from building in your bathroom. Fix leaky piping as soon as you spot it, the constant moisture is perfect for mold growth. Cleaning your bathroom regularly can help kill forming mold spores. Be sure to focus your efforts on areas in the bathroom that see moisture frequently, like the shower, under sinks, and the bottom of toilets where condensation can develop.
If you suspect mold has already begun to grow in your bathroom, turn to Chesapeake Environmental Cleaning Systems. Our specialists will help locate the mold growth, identify which type of mold has begun growing, and eliminate the mold from your bathroom. We also offer free mold inspection. Our specialists will not only remove the mold from your bathroom, but guarantee it will not return.
To get started with Chesapeake Environmental Cleaning Systems, call us today at 443.687.7300 or visit our contact page.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn.