There are several places in your home where mold and mildew can form. Most people assume the basement and bathroom as the two most frequent places in a home where mold can sprout its ugly face. Very often, homeowners never consider the attic as a home for mold. Because an attic is the highest point of a home, homeowners never think to check for mold and mildew.
There are several causes for mold growth in an attic:
- Roofing- The most common cause of mold in an attic is a roof that is leaking. The constant water exposure in an attic can lead to the growth of mold and mildew in your attic.
- Insulation- Attic insulation that is missing or was installed improperly can lead to mold in your attic. Moisture from the lower levels of your home can rise to your attic and become trapped, leading to mold and mildew growth.
- Ventilation- Improper attic ventilation that allows an attic to stay warm will cause mold. The warm air paired with moisture due to a closed off attic can create the ideal home for mold growth. If other appliance ventilation feed into your attic, you are still at a risk for mold growth. Vents from a bathroom, kitchen, or dryer that feeds into an attic can cause warm air to be trapped in an attic, leading to mold.
- Water heater or Furnace- With the demand for larger homes with luxury appliances, the need for several heaters and furnaces has increased. This has led to water heaters and furnaces to be installed in attics. Leaks from the two appliances can cause mold in an attic just like in a basement.
- Ice Dams- An “ice dam” is created when water is trapped in gutters, then freezes, and begins to back into a home. The water can then lead to mold growth.
If you suspect mold damage in your home’s attic, call the specialists at Chesapeake Environmental Cleaning Systems. We specialize in services such as:
- Mold Removal
- Mold Remediation
- Mold Inspections
- Free Mold Analysis
To get started with Chesapeake Environmental Cleaning Systems, call us today at 443.687.7300 or visit our contact page.
Follow us today on Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.