Mold is never something you want to find in your home. While not all types of mold are toxic, many still present possibly health problems. It is very important to contact professionals if you find mold in your home. Most of the time it is not possible to know whether or not a specific mold is toxic or not unless you get it checked out by someone who deals with mold every day. Toxic mold is the type you have to worry about the most, though. If there is toxic mold in your home, mold remediation will be necessary, but what are the toxic types of mold? There are five main types.
- Stachybotrys (stack-ee-botris) – This type of mold is the most lethal. Some people only suffer from minor aches, pains, and ailments while others have been known to contract diseases such as cancer from this mold. People with weaker immune systems are the most susceptible to illnesses associated with stachybotrys. This is also known as toxic black mold for its coloration.
- Cladosporium – While not as toxic as stachybotrys, cladosporium has still been known to make people ill but is most associated with allergies, asthma, and infections. It can grow on floors and wallpaper if there is any moisture to feed it.
- Fusarium – You won’t find fusarium growing in your house, but you may find it in your vegetables. It is not something that you want to ingest. It can cause infections similar to those that cladosporium presents. Take care to make sure you know where your food is coming from and what is growing in your garden.
- Penicillium – This particular mold might sound familiar. It is what the antibiotic, penicillin, derives from. The mold is useful in medications when the correct strain is used. Different types of this mold present different problems, though. It can grow on food that has been left too long in the refrigerator and make a person very sick.
- Aspergillus – Of the five molds listed, this is the least harmful to humans. It is found in the air as well as in water damaged buildings and air conditioning units that haven’t been cleaned. Aspergillus is known to cause infection on occasion.
In order to keep your home safe from these types of mold, make sure you get a mold inspection at the first sign of dampness or possible infestation.
Need a Mold Remediater in Baltimore, Maryland? Then call Chesapeake Environmental Cleaning Systems, LLC
At Chesapeake Environmental, we do not cover up mold, WE REMOVE IT! We employ certified mold remediaters, equipping them with state-of-the-art tools to make sure we get the job done right the first time.